Monday, October 14, 2013

the 2013 Red Sox Season has crossed into the Surreal

My favorite Sports teams of all time are the 2007 Packers and the 2011 Lightning. The 2013 Red Sox have crossed into that pantheon of my favorite teams of all time. Neither of those first 2 teams won championships, and its entirely possible this Red Sox team won't either, so why do those teams beat out teams that did win Championships, the 2007 Red Sox, 2004 Lightning and 2010 Packers? Because none of those teams were expected to do anything, and proved everyone wrong. Theres nothing more enjoyable in sports than watching one of your teams get picked to finish near the bottom of the league in the preseason, then end up making a run at a championship. Maybe Im at an emotional high because of tonight's result, but this Red Sox team may be my favorite sports team of all time. And tonights game may have been the best sports game Ive ever gone through.

After last night's dismal performance, one hit in a 1-0 loss, tonights game was a must win. Unfortunately, through 7 innings, the offense continued to be dead silent. To make matters worse, the Tigers bats woke up, and heading to the bottom of the 8th Detroit had a 5-1 lead. Fenway was silent, stunned, depressed. I was silent, stunned, depressed. Heading to the bottom of the eighth I played "Dont Stop Believing" grabbed my rally towel, put on my rally hat, and basically said to myself that this Red Sox team has given me so much happiness this year that I was going to cheer for these last two innings even if it seemed hopeless. After a walk and two singles the Red Sox had the bases loaded, but two strikeouts were mixed in, so there were two outs. To the plate steps Big Papi, who else? Mr Red Sox, Mr Clutch, Mr October heroics. On the first pitch of the at bat Ortiz laced a line drive to right field, barely over the glove of Torri Hunter into the stands. Grand slam. Tie game. I'm jumping up and down screaming like a little kid at midnight. probably woke some neighbors. definitely woke my dad. The Red Sox back from the dead. The game headed to the ninth tied, where in the bottom of the inning, Jonny Gomes reached on an infield single, then got to second on an error, and to third on a wild pitch. Then Jarrod Saltalamacchia barely got a ball through the infield for a base hit. Game over. Red Sox win. Series tied 1-1, season still alive. IF the Red Sox go onto win the World Series this will be the most incredible sports game of my life. Even if they don't I will still always remember it fondly. This team is incredible. I wasn't ready for this incredible journey of a season to end, and apparently neither were the Red Sox. I don't know if the Red Sox will go on to win the World Series, or even win this series, but there's one thing I do know. Do not count this team out until the last out is made against them, ever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

comments with vulgar language, racist language, personal attacks, or anything offensive will be deleted.