Thursday, October 31, 2013

World Series Champions!

June 7th 2004, October 28th 2007, February 6th 2011, and now October 30th 2013. The four days in my life where I witnessed one of my sports teams win a championship. This is the first one of my teams to win two for me in my lifetime, though technically the Packers have I dont count that because I was to young to remember the first one.

This one feels much different than in 2007 to me. After the Sox win it in 2007, I had been convinced my many experts and other fans that the Sox were on the verge of a dynasty, and were poised to win four or five championships in a short span. So I took the one in 2007 for granted, assuming Id be celebrating many more soon. Of course, that never happened, and five years later the team hit rock bottom with a last place finish. In 2007, from opening day I knew they were the best team in the league and figured they'd win it all. Even when they were down in the ALCS 3-1 to Cleveland, I knew they were going to come back and win, I was so sure of it I didnt stress at all, and I was right. This year I never really even entertained the idea of this team winning a championship until late August/early September. Until that point it was just a fun season, but I didnt think they were good enough to take it all the way. heres an article from the Red Sox main beat writer back in February, basically telling Sox fans to prepare for a long season.
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/02/24/hard-get-excited-about-these-red-sox/GQ5hTjgKOg6MI3gxDOJQWJ/story.html

After they lost game 1 to Detroit, and fell behind 5-0 in game two, I resigned myself to their season basically being over. Then they came back with a vengeance. After they lost game 3 to the Cardinals in heartbreaking fashion, I again resigned myself to the fact they will probably fall just short. I went to sleep Saturday depressed, but woke up Sunday rejuvenated, and though to myself "no more losses, starting tonight we take three in a row." Unlike in 2007, when I knew they'd come back because they were simply the better team, this time I came to believe they would come back simply because this was the most damn resilient sports team Ive ever seen in my life. Countless times this season when they were down they came punching back with a vengeance, it was mind boggling how often it happened.

I thought to myself today how going into 2013, this was the first season for Red Sox fans in probably 15 years where there wasn't a "championship or bust" mentality going into the season. For that reason alone there will simply never be a season ever like this for Red Sox fans again. Now that the trophy is back in Boston, that championship or bust mentality will return next year, and wont go away for a long time. There will be no more lovable underdogs, the band of resilient bearded misfits who came together as one and defied the odds. 2013 was the Impossible dream II, only this time, unlike in 1967, the dream came true.

PS: After reading that article I read through the comments page, here are some notably hilarious ones

 Regardless of what one might think of the author; he is right. The Sox are going to suck big time. They have a mediocre lineup and a bad starting rotation. A decent bullpen will help. But won't make it to the playoffs. Just look at who they are putting in the field. It stinks. A bunch of has beens and a couple of would be fire plugs. Get ready to be dissapointed this season. Big time.

 The reality is that you can't win the World Series every year. Let's face the facts: It is a rebuilding, or bridge year. Get over it.

 as presently constructed, it’s not impossible to imagine the team competing for a wild card into August. Are they a championship team? No. No, no, no. But they’re okay. And there’s a plan in place to be one by 2015.

 the Sox will have to work their asses off to avoid a second-straight last-place finish.






No comments:

Post a Comment

comments with vulgar language, racist language, personal attacks, or anything offensive will be deleted.